Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Mr. Owl




I have a friend whose boy is turning a whole year old, so I thought I'd try my hand at making something a boy might like. I've never made a stuffed animal before, let alone stitched anything by hand (the face), but I was pretty excited about this. It's a simple rendering of a great horned owl, and it's made from old tweed jackets and wool coats, plus some scraps of fabric I had laying around. Only time will tell how sturdy it turns out to be... the ears were already starting to wrinkle by the time I took these photos because my children got a hold of it and were playing. But, let's face it, what they're going to be used for are handles for bopping siblings with the owl. One of the fabrics I chose for the eyes (the brown base) is going to fray, I thought kind of like feathers. Maybe it'll be cute, maybe it'll fall apart. Like I said, we'll just have to wait and see. It's a pillow... it's a stuffed animal... it's a friend. A very wise friend.

4 comments:

  1. Aw... a wise friend :) How nice of you!

    I really do love the owl and Alex does too. He grins at it all the time. It was so sweet of you to make something for him. I appreciate the thoughtfulness so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL and I just realized that you meant the owl was a wise friend. Well, how humble I must sound hahahaha! I feel sheepish now :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, well, you're a wise friend, too. :) I'm glad Alex likes it! It's the crazy eyes that Petra liked. Will you make sure to give me feedback on how well or not well it holds up?

    ReplyDelete