Thursday, February 18, 2010

Lent

I have never given up anything for lent before this year, but I was inspired by my pastor Jeff and the sermon he gave recently on radical generosity. He suggested that rather than simply give up something for Lent, give it up and take the money you would have spent on it during that time and give it away. You can find the sermon I'm talking about under the media page here and you can check out an additional post about giving on Jeff's blog.

I'm giving up sweets and deserts of all kinds. I don't spend an especially large amount of money on this, but I do enjoy it quite a lot... so through these 40 days my body is likely going to thank me. It might be very difficult, but sacrifice isn't supposed to be an easy or flippant thing. And I get the opportunity to be reminded to pray each time I want a sweet treat. I do have one exception: I get my honey in my tea. It's really required. Come to think of it, I probably need a new honey pot... mine has been gone for a long time. Maybe this honey pot?

Either way, I've got it easy. John is giving up coffee.

9 comments:

  1. I'm giving up Facebook. When I prayed about it, I knew that it was what God was pressing on my heart. I spend too much time there, and so I need to work on spending that time enjoying my family instead. But oh... it's hard!
    I can't remember if I ever gave you my new blog addy but it's not in your blogroll. http://4get-regret.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. That will be difficult... but if that's what God's telling you to do, then by all means, do it. Are you no longer posting at the Great Big Happy?

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, I switched to a new blog. I'm just that way LOL I can't just switch my focus on the current blog, I have to move to a whole new name in order to feel refocused. Silly, I know, but I have to do what works for me ;)

    By the way, I don't know your email addy can't use Facebook but I wanted to tell you that I got my Smartipants on Thursday and used them overnight for the first time last night and oh my goodness I'm in LOVE! I went and ordered three more packs so that I would be fully stocked in them because I could not believe how much they held (12 hours, 2 inserts!) with no leaks! Seriously so excited because now I don't have to buy disposables for overnights anymore! So anyway, thanks for the recommendation :) I got chocolate brown, blue, green, yellow, and white. Good stuff. I only wish they came in red and maybe a primary green and blue would have been nice but Alex's red diapers are my faves. Oh well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh, and clearly I used a different google account than usual. :) It's me, Ashley... of course!

    ReplyDelete
  5. :) Haha, good to know.

    I know! Aren't they awesome!? I'm so glad you got some. I got all boy colors when I ordered... just because I get sick of pink really fast, and I liked the boy colors so much better. Hooray for cloth diapering solutions!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Did you see the cocoa bean one? so cute :) I can't wait to see my little man running around in just a diaper this summer. Ah... love.

    ReplyDelete
  7. No, I bought directly from the Smartipants site, and they didn't have that color as an option.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh I see. I've been buying from Kelly's Closet. They have the same price plus free shipping over $49 and then also they have been offering freebies with a certain dollar amount purchased. They also offer reward points for every dollar you spend so that you can earn gift certificates for future purchases.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That sounds awesome, I should by my next ones from there!

    ReplyDelete