Monday, December 14, 2009

Fancy


What makes fancy ketchup fancy? Nicer tomatoes? I don't know. Must be. What makes fancy skirts fancy? Nicer fabric... and that's about it. When I make them, anyway. :) This is a Christmas gift for my year and a half old niece. Simple and lovely and fun for a pretty little blond baby.

When I stock up on super inexpensive fabric at thrift stores, sometimes I come across fantastic finds. Like massive amounts of dupioni silk for nearly free. I think I'll be making myself a skirt out of that pink fabric next, I love it so much. I'm still not a great seamstress, but I do enjoy all this sewing. However, every time I sew lately I seem to only end up pining after a serger to make the clothes making simpler and faster and make seams less bulky. Oh, Lord, cleanse my covetous heart.

This is just a simple skirt made out of a few rectangles of fabric with an elastic waist and a wide hem. I lined it because the dupioni silk can be a little stiff and scratchy... especially on the soft baby legs. The flower is on a pin so it is removable, I found a tutorial for making them over here. I then proceeded to make a bunch for myself... because... well... they were just so happy.

I think I need to make more of these for the other babies in my life this Christmas. They're so easy to make as gifts. Now I just need some ideas for things for boys... yikes. They're so much more difficult to sew for than girls.

3 comments:

  1. And that's the truth!
    I haven't pulled out my machine in quite some time now. I'm just too encumbered with other things to find the opportunity for it. I'm really interested in embroidery right now and want to make all kinds of things. Trying to find a good time to make some small Christmas gifts for people.
    Anyway, cute skirt! I love the flower :)
    Oh and I have a new blog- http://4get-regret.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would probably never ever sew if I had to drag my machine out every time I wanted to use it. That's why I've got an eyesore of a sewing corner in my dining room. :) Embroidery, huh? Do you have a machine that does any of that for you or are you doing it by hand? Sounds like something I'd try if Pfaff were helping me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. By hand. I bought a book about embroidery last year and I love all the different stitches and stuff. There are some really fabulous patterns that I would love to try. I just need all the materials. That's the thing. That's always the thing. :)

    ReplyDelete