Tuesday, June 7, 2011

The Joy of Less



For some time now I've been inclined to be free of stuff; to have less and live more. I've said that I could be a minimalist... if I had less stuff. I like simple. I like peaceful. So I got this book recently, The Joy of Less by Francine Jay, and it has been so encouraging in that direction. Find a neat review of the book here. It was responsible for the eight apple boxes full of things that left our home the other day, and it's beckoning the stack of empty boxes in my living room to be filled and leave forever. It's such a good feeling to me to have only what we use, and be content with that. There are truly innumerable things that I could better spend my time, money, and brainpower on than a bunch of things cluttering my life. Since we moved last summer from our home in MN to our apartment in WA, we got rid of what felt like tons of things. And yet we still have what feels like tons of things. In a few weeks, we're moving from one small apartment to another slightly better but still small apartment, and here's my goal: to move with half our stuff. And I'm serious about it. Let's do this thing.

5 comments:

  1. You can do it! I'm on the same journey right now and it will likely take me most of the summer to get it all done, but I'm determined to make it happen. Let's do this thing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you! This makes me nostalgic for when my life fit in a backpack. The only larger things not fitting being a blanket and pillow. That has become increasingly difficult as I settled down, got married and had my first child. I'm pretty sure my husband is a hoarder, haha. Well ok, maybe just to me. It's the curse of marrying a nerd. He has these figurines that are an "army", I can't remember what game they're for. He always proudly says, "I painted all 400 by hand." Ok, but now what? They sit in a very heavy box in my sons closet... That's just one example. Does that book tell you how to deal with husbands? I'm hoping moving next year will also motivate him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've awarded you the Liebster Blog Award! http://revamphomegoods.blogspot.com/2011/11/liebster-blog-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. After also reading this book, my house has undergone a massive change. And I'm planning yet another huge exodus of 'stuff' this week. It feels wonderful and very freeing. I have since passed my copy of this helpful book onto my FMIL to use, but it's principles are staying firmly stuck in my mind! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi I’m Heather! Please email me when you get a chance! I have a question about your blog. HeatherVonsj(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete