Friday, April 1, 2011

My Unglorious Return + Chocolate Pie



Alright. I realize I'm terrible at following through with things. Usually it's because I completely forget. That's not good. I wish I had a better reason... something like... I had something way more important to do. Sadly, no. If I didn't do it, I probably forgot. This makes me feel just terrible when I do remember what I was going to do. And now it's been six months since I've posted last, so it's safe to say I've turned out to be an inconsistant blogger at best. In keeping with learning things about me: you don't even want to know how many thank you cards I've started but haven't sent. Because I forgot.  I forgot to get the address, I forgot to buy stamps... and the well meaning thank you note never came to be. I should really just call people to say thank you.


Since I'm back, I thought I should have something awesome to share. And I do. I requires a little work from you or your personal chef, but here it is: my recipe for Fantastic Chocolate Pie. Yep, named it myself. It's almost like a no-bake chocolate cheesecake+french silk pie. You could serve it with another layer of whipped cream on top and some raspberry sauce if you think you need some more calories. That sounds good.


Crust Ingredients: (or use a ready made crust)
4 tablespoons (or more if you think you need it) unsalted butter, melted
1 1/2 cups chocolate graham crackers, crushed (that means one package to me)

Filling Ingredients:
2 cups good chocolate, melted (this will only taste as good as the chocolate you use)
8 ounces (1 package) cream cheese, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup heavy whipping cream

To make the crust: In a small bowl combine the butter and the cookie crumbs till well combined. Press firmly into a 9 inch glass pie dish. Bake for about 10 minutes at 325 degrees. Remove from oven and cool completely.

To make the filling
: Melt chocolate in double boiler until smooth. Cool to room temperature.
In a large bowl with an electric mixer, beat the melted chocolate, cream cheese, and vanilla until lighter in color, about a couple of minutes. In another bowl, whip the heavy cream on high speed until stiff peaks form. Then, gently fold the whipped cream into the chocolate mixture until completely incorporated. Spoon this into the crust and smooth the top. Chill till firm... at least a few hours.

I think it's much better when refrigerated at overnight. And use whatever chocolate you like to eat plain. I use half milk Dove chocolate and half dark Dove chocolate. The texture will vary a little depending on the cocoa content of your chocolate. Yummy. Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. tasty!

    May I suggest one of your desserts I think you should blog about? If you did--I would be indebted to you in an uber way. Your dark chocolate chilly truffles! I had one at a specialty candy store in Bemidji the other day, and not even close to as good as yours...

    One tiny truffle for like a buck. You could make some serious dough.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, so I pretty much want to cry because I just wrote about 4 paragraphs in my comment and it has disappeared. Gone. Dang.

    I can't retype it all but here's the run down:

    Thank you cards- I'm the same way. TOTALLY.

    Blogging- I struggle but I feel the need to keep at it because of my family and many friends living so far away. Plus I love going back and looking at my blogs form years ago. I'm so glad that I took the time to do it.

    You- I miss you. I would LOVE to read a few blog posts about your life in Washington. A lot has happened in the 6 months since you last blogged and I would enjoy reading about it :)

    Food- Yum. Will try. Will make for company. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tyler, I will do that post just for you. Did I roll those ones in cocoa powder or chocolate? I can hardly remember.

    Oh, Ashley, that stinks that your note disappeared! Thanks for the encouragement anyway. :) I'll give a WA update soon. And yes, make the pie for company... or else you'll risk eating it all yourself. Which is good... and bad. :)

    ReplyDelete